When a loved one dies it can be an upsetting and distressing time. Consequently dealing with the paperwork and technicalities involved in administering their estate may be the last thing you want to do. We offer you sympathetic, hands on support which we believe you will find invaluable at this most difficult time. There are many ways we can help, including:
- Assisting with registration of the death
- Applying for Probate
- Preparing documents for the Probate Registry and HM Revenue and Customs.
- Completing the administration of the estate
- Advising on the meaning of the terms of the Will
- Explaining intestacy rules if there is no Will
- Explaining the tax issues connected to the estate
- Helping with the sale of any property
- Dealing with disputed Wills and claims against estates
We can also advise on disputes surrounding a will or intestacy. This type of dispute or litigation can often be protracted and expensive. Our detailed knowledge of the basis of claims and court procedure can lead to an early, negotiated conclusion, saving both cost and stress.
Bates are able to offer funding for our clients to fund your legal costs. This is offered through Lime Finance. They only offer lending to selected partners, of which Bates is one. Lime Finance provides loans to individuals and companies to pay legal fees and disbursements, as they fall due, throughout a legal action. The loan is repayable on settlement of the case or after a defined period. Lime Finance simply charges interest on a loan, whatever the outcome of the case. The facility does not take any kind of share in the settlement value.
Sometimes a deceased person does not provide appropriately for persons who should receive ongoing maintenance or support from his estate. We are experienced in advising on the complex rules which regulate these claims and in bringing and defending (as necessary) claims against estates of deceased persons.