Go to Top

Cohabitee Disputes

Property Disputes
If agreement cannot be reached as to whether a property should be sold or the ownership of the property and consequently how the proceeds should be divided an application to the court has to be under the Trusts Of Land and Appointment of Trustees Act, so as a Judge can decide this for the parties.

Financial Provision for Children
If cohabitees cannot agree the level of maintenance that should be payable, then an application to the Child Support Agency should be made. Other financial relief can be sought through the courts under Schedule 1 of the Children Act, namely:

Applications for top up maintenance in cases where, due to affluence of the paying parent, maintenance in excess of the Child Support Agency maximum award is warranted
Lump Sum Orders to cover specific capital spending for children
Order for Housing Provision
This area of law is particularly complex and you will require a solicitor who is an expert in dealing with cohabitee disputes. Here at Bates we take a professional but sympathetic approach in such matters, guiding you through what can be a very difficult time.

Contact and Residence
In these modern day times, more and more children are being born to unmarried parents. Agreements about arrangements pertaining to the children, regrettably, cannot always be reached and sometimes mediation or court proceedings are necessary. Our expert team can help with:

Negotiating and agreeing contact & residence arrangements
Court applications for contact and residence or shared residence
Disputes relating to leave or removal of children from the jurisdiction
Issue Applications, in relation to where a child should go to school
Prohibited Steps Order: orders preventing either parent from carrying out certain actions e.g. making specific trips with their children, without the expressed permission of the other parent.
Obtaining Parental Responsibility Orders

Who to contact?

Related Articles

Mother’s contact with son restricted to six times a year Husband wins appeal against divorce payments to former wife Husband committed to prison for failing to pay child maintenance Woman wins appeal over contact arrangements with her niece Divorce rate at lowest level for 40 years as cohabitation increases